Wednesday, September 23, 2015

So here is the plan.

  • Increase the amount of space inside the vehicle so I can better fit a second row seat for the kids
  • Increase the wheel base of the vehicle to improve on-road ride comfort and off road performance
  • Accomplish both of those with out effecting the approach and departure angles
  • Reduce the engine noise
  • Reduce engine operating temps
  • Maintain similar power and fuel mileage


So to achieve these goals I am going to

  • Build a 105" frame.
  • Modify a 109 tub to fit the 105" wheel base
  • Install a GMC LS engine


In conjunction with the frame stretch I am going to place longer rear springs up front, and I am going to use wider D-110 armored car axles front and rear.  These are the Salisbury (Dana-60) axles.
The engine I found is a 2007 5.3l aluminum V-8, 70k miles and came with the automatic transmission and transfer case.  I pulled the engine myself and got all of the computers/sensors/fuses/wiring/etc.

I also acquired an old Series 109 safari roof, tub, seat box and hard top, a S-III bulkhead, 88" roof sides with sliding windows,  and a S-II bonnet and radiator support.  Disco seats, RRC stearing column, S-III dash components.  Power steering using a Scout box and GM pump, hydro-boost power brakes, discs up front (maybe on the back axle, have the parts), stronger axles, auto-trans w/5-spd O/D, lighter frame, long parabolic springs on all 4 corners, yeah I like where this is going.

A friend here in CO helped me with the frame.  This is a IIa 88" frame that I am lengthening and modifying for the suspension.



Gathering all the bits and pieces





No comments:

Post a Comment